JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

If a client divulges information to a solicitor, which implies

If a client divulges information to a solicitor, which implies that a third party maybe in breach of regulations regarding the Office of the Public Guardian, does it mean that the solicitor has an automatic duty to pass on the said information to the Court?
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Thank you for your messageIn response to your question, once a client divulges information to a Solicitor, they then form a client-Solicitor relationship. If no money has been exchanged, the client will still be deemed a 'prospective client' under the Solicitors code of conduct. Essentially the rules state that the Solicitor must keep the client's affairs (and any information provided) confidential unless ordered to by the Court. Please note that correspondence between client and Solicitor is privileged so protected and may never be disclosed.In short, the Solicitor does not have an automatic duty to pass the said information to the Court (even if it breaches OPG regulations etc). I hope that helps.Best of luck,Kind regards Krystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much I am extremely satisfied and relieved by your answer. This may not be the end of the matter, we may have recourse to seek further advice in the future. As we live overseas it is difficult to access specialist English lawyers.
You're welcome.
Thank you for your rating