Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Madame, I have lived in the UK since October 2008

Dear Sir/Madame,
I have lived in the UK since October 2008 on a Tier 4 Visa for Medical School and Training.
I married a British citizen in August 2015. I have been on a Spouse Visa for 2-weeks now.
I would like to apply for British citizenship and was wondering what the quickest way to do this would be / what the next steps are / when I can do this (according to immigration rules etc).
Many thanks,
Naji Al-Khudairi
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Naji, as you are probably aware, time spent on a Tier 4 visa does not count towards the necessary years for Indefinite Leave to Remain, nor do they count towards citizenship. Accordingly, the quickest way to get citizenship is to rely upon the 3 years residency in the UK after marriage to a UK citizen. Accordingly, you can apply in August 2018 for citizenship and in August 2017 for Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, it will not be possible to obtain citizenship before this time is up. The normal period of residency for citizenship is six years. So, being married to a UK citizen greatly foreshortens the necessary residency period. Also, you should not leave the UK during this three year period, as it is only residency in the UK which counts towards the three year period. You can leave for 270 days during the three year period in total and for 90 days in the year before your application for citizenship. However, you must not exceed these time periods as otherwise your citizenship application will be refused.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks.
Just one point to clarify will the time count from marriage (August 2015) or when I obtained spouse visa (March 2016)?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Time will run from the date of marriage so long as you were resident in the UK. sO TIME will run from August 2015.