Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My husband and I have a legal charge registered with the Land

My husband and I have a legal charge registered with the Land Registry on a property we help my daughter and her then partner purchase. (they have now been married for some time). We keep saying we will remove the charge but do not want to pay lots of money over in legal fees!
I have downloaded a form from the Land Registry site DS2 can this be used to take off the charge from the property or do we have to use an authorised Conveyancer?
Anne
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.You and your husband need to complete and sign a DS1, and submit this to the Land Registry with DS2.If a Solicitor does not lodge the application on your behalf, you will also need to complete a ID1 Form (can download this from the Land Registry ) which is evidence of your identity which the Land Registry require if any application is received from a private individual (to guard against fraudulent applications).If you do lodge the application yourselves and hence need to complete the ID1, you will need to go and see a local Solicitor as part of the ID1 needs to be filled in by a Solicitor who will need to see your passports and sign the back of a recent passport photo of you both. Solicitors will charge anything from £25-£100 to complete the ID1 for you.So, either way, you will need to involve a Solicitor, but it won't cost you hundreds of pounds!I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The explanation as to how to proceed is just what was required. I can go forward now and complete the task.
Many thanks.Good luck!Best WishesAl