13262538

I am trustee of my mothers will. The will leaves amongst other

Customer Question

I am trustee of my mothers will. The will leaves amongst other legacies £5,000 to a great grandchild who is German and lives with her mother in Spain. The parents are separated so I have to hold the money in trust until the child is 21 or marries if earlier. My bank declined to set up a trust although I can hold money in trust for other grandchildren, of UK nationality and resident her. How do I meet the requirements of the will?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHave you tried simply opening a savings account in joint names with the child?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but as the child is not a UK national or passport holder nor resident the uk on the basis of the information I have been given so far the bank nor any bank will not do it. Frankly I don't think you appreciate the rules banks in this country operate under, nor do I think you understand the restrictions they are under for foreign nationals. I suspect I have wasted £47!! .
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor in the East Midlands so I am indeed aware of the Money Laundering Rules here in the UK.However I am not suggesting that you open the account in the name of the child.I am suggesting that you open an account in your name on behalf of the child - which is not an unusual action for a grandparent (or god parent ) to take.Alternatively you can simply invest the money in your own name (Premium Bonds are a good option here) and hold it until the payment is due.This is an acceptable way of dealing with such gifts.Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** but would work. I am 71 and the child is 4 so I would have to write a codicil to my will and leave that specific investment to the child. Assuming I die before the child is 21 my trustee would have to repeat the action. It is not strictly in accordance with the will but meets the spirit of it. I don't think I would go for premium bonds as I already have some in my name and would need to separate her wins from mine and change the codicil each time she wins. Of course Premium Bonds avoids a tax issue but with the new investment tax rules that is unlikely to be a factor and I could always put her money in an ISA. I just need to make sure her parents are happy withe solution.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The alternative is to get her parents to accept the responsibility for the investment and invest it for her.There is a risk that if she reaches 21 and the money has gone you would be responsible - but you may consider the risk worthwhile.Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Clare. Actually I'd love to pass it on to the parents and the will has a clause that permits me to do that. I have done that with several other legacies. But these parents are divorcing, fighting over money and don't trust each other - they were happy when I told them I was (as the will states) holding the money in trust. Yes, I have to make sure the money is there when she reaches 21 - so I have to put it in a safe investment. That is no different than if I were able to put it in a trust.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - what I meant was if either of he parents had spent it it would still be your responsibility.However it seems that you were a very safe pair of hands to leave this in!