How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31896
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just divorced my wife and the absolute was granted

Customer Question

I have just divorced my wife and the absolute was granted two weeks ago. We have not sorted out the financial part yet however my new partner want's to get married in a few months time. Is there a problem with doing that or is it ok ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-cz780j3k- replied 1 year ago.
If your divorce has been finalized by the courts, there should be no problem with getting married in a few months. When you say you haven't "sorted out the financial" part of the divorce, what does that mean, exactly? And, is this what you're concerned about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been paying my now ex wife voluntary maintenance for the last 3 years, she wants it formalised so my partner doesn't try to make me stop the payments. I am not sure which is the best way to do that, pension sharing is an option but very expensive if you have to employ an actuary. I am not sure the best way to solve that problem
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-cz780j3k- replied 1 year ago.
Oh boy...that wasn't part of your formal divorce agreement? I think we might want to put this question back out there for an attorney to answer. I thought it was a relationship question (I'm a psychologist). Would you like me to get ahold of category moderation to send you over to an attorney?
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-cz780j3k- replied 1 year ago.
I know that maintenance payments depend on how long you were married, your income, and your status - but I don't know how to navigate the details, especially if it hasn't been court-ordered.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-cz780j3k- replied 1 year ago.
So, if you're saying you'd like to voluntarily continue making the payments, I'm not sure how to counsel you. All I can offer is that if you want to continue making them, you can certainly do that. Since they're not formalized now, I doubt a court would "formalize" them, unless you were married for a very long time, so you'd probably have to broker an agreement with a lawyer, etc. And, this doesn't make much sense to me since you're doing it voluntarily in the first place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you could change it so an solicitor can advise me I would grateful
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-cz780j3k- replied 1 year ago.
I reported it for recategorization - best of luck to you!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow far have the financial negotiations actually reached?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex wife and I still chat and have been considering pension sharing, we have an understanding that I will give her £300 a month. We have both asked for our pension cetv's but no financial negotiations using a solicitor has taken place. At the present time we are waiting on cetv's
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What has happened to the Matrimonial Home and what income do you each have?