13262538

Does this apply to personal relationships eg man makes the

Does this apply to personal relationships eg man makes the promises to woman then reneges?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstCould you explain a little more about what has actually happened pleaseClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A long story short
I have just recently broken up with my partner of 6.5 years. We are not married nor living together.
In the course of the last 2 years he had asked me to marry him and was having an engagement ring made for me from his mothers diamonds and put a deposit on a large house for us to move into. He said he would make me joint trustee of the house worth £2.5 million. None of this has happened
On the back of these promises I moved my job to be near to the near house at a loss of £10,000 per annum and have had to rent on my own and commute 3 hours a day to the new job as the house sale was not happening. He was working away most of this time. He offered to help financially and gave me £3.000 that he is threatening court action to get back.
I saw the term 'detrimental reliance' when searching for help on this. I wondered if my changing circumstances due to his promises come under this.
Jo Minns
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you intending to move back to your old home?Can you obtain a better paid job again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sold my old home in preparation for all that to happen. I bought a small apartment with the equity that my son lives in at Uni
I have no idea if I can secure a better paid job as it is in education
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am so very sorry but there is no kind way to tell you this.I am afraid that such promises made within a relationship do not amount to a contract and as such are not enforceable.That sadly is the beginning middle and end of the matter - I only wish it were not.Having said that if the money he did give you was expressed as a gift then he cannot recover it Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is what I expected. The gifted money is recorded in a message so that is a relief.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That at least is good news