29905560

My gardener accidentally went through the roof of my neighbours

My gardener accidentally went through the roof of my neighbours asbestos garage roof when trying to access her garden to trim the trees that were overhanging in her garden. He has repaired the damage at no cost, but my neighbour is not happy stating that she wants a whole new garage roof and someone to dispose of the asbestos. Am I liable?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why is she not happy with the repairs, are they not adequate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are adequate, but because her old roof is asbestos she now wants that removed and replaced. She doesn't like the fact the repair is a different material.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It is unlikely that you would be liable for this as the gardener would have been responsible for his own actions and it was his negligence which caused the damage. So if she wanted to pursue someone for the replacement of the roof he would need to purse the gardener directly. There is nothing stopping her from trying to get you to organise and pay for the replacement but you can certainly refuse to assist and remind her that the gardener will personally be responsible for this and that she should pursue him. If needed you can out them in touch with each other and let them resolve this issue between them. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have put them in touch with one another, but he says he is not replacing the whole roof and she wants a new roof. I will let reiterate to her that it is a dispute between the 2 of them and that I am not liable for the gardener's actions. It seems like there is nothing else I can do as I'm certainly not organising and paying for a replacement.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
No and you are not obliged to do so, your involvement ends when you put the two of them in touch with each other. You can of course go out of your way to help them further but legally you do not have to. It may sour relations with your neighbour but at the dame time do not be bullied into something you are not responsible for. hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect - many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best