75100385

In two years time I will receive £60.000. Can a council take

Customer Question

In two years time I will receive £60.000. Can a council take this into account when I pay council tax. I will not be able to pay all my monthly bills if they take the money out of money I have not received yet.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.For now please let me know whether you are on Council Tax benefit please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My council tax bill is £93. I have to pay £465.52 monthly and then I get rebate back later in the month. I also have to pay £1277. That will be taken at £106. for overpayment when the council tax was put on hold.
Our household incomes per month are: Husbands Uni grant £745.16. Husbands pension £67.29. My DLA £307.60. £500. from my sister. Total per month is £1620.05. This is paid to me from £80.000 which is my share of my fathers estate. My sister took my money so she could buy the property. She is leasing for 2 years so I get £500 until she moves in and I will get the remainder. I stopped my incapacity benefit of £525. because I am getting the £500. Our total outgoings for the month is £1387.27.I cannot save money and the pension has to be used to pay our bills. I do hope this is enough information for you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
So do you get Council Tax benefit? I understand from that you do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You are entitled to have £16,000 in savings before benefits will be stopped. This is because benefits are designed to be given to people who are disadvantaged. When you have £60,000 you will no longer be so and as such you would not be entitled to benefit.But once the sum you have after living expenses etc goes below £16,000 you would be entitled to benefit again.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.But your benefits wont be affected UNTIL you have the money.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, thank you so much for the information. My husband and I were very worried about having to pay on savings we do not have. Your answer has given us a bit of peace now. We are still going to the council so they can see our savings are not £11,000.
If I need any help in the future I shall certainly be in touch. You have been great. Many thanks, Sue
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck Sue. Alex