75100385

On 28/10/15 I took delivery of a 2007 secondhand BMW X5

Customer Question

On 28/10/15 I took delivery of a 2007 secondhand BMW X5 E70 3.0Diesel supplied by a large car dealer in Canterbury. This was sold with a 3 month warranty which I extended for another year ( 15 months in total ).
We were travelling to a holiday home in the Dordogne and about 120 miles short of our destination the car stopped, after having it recovered and taken to an industrial estate we were told that the breakdown insurance was unable to get a taxi to deliver us to our destination we had to arrange for our friend to come up and collect us.
Within the next few days we waited for the diagnosis of the problem from the BMW dealer in Chateauroux, during this time both the breakdown insurance and the warranty on the vehicle refused to give us a hire car until we gave instructions for the repairs to be carried out, The cost of repairs amounted to 13915 Euros for replacing the engine.
The warranty company then refused to give us a hire car and said that as the cost of repair and repatriation cost, would exceed the value of the car, they said I should scrap the vehicle in France. ( I have only done 6000 miles in it )
The breakdown insurance also refused to give us a car as we were not having it repaired.
They did agree to give us a car which we had to collect from Limoge Airport and that was for us to get back to Calais, where they wanted us to off load the car and go by foot passenger on the car ferry to Dover, once we were there the breakdown insurance company would arrange for a hire car to get us to home.
During the 10 days we were away we had no hire car to use and were lucky to have a friend who lent us a car. The breakdown insurance said they would pay for the diesel used by my friend collecting us on the night we broke down.
I have arranged for the vehicle to be brought back to the dealer in Canterbury at a cost of £1038.00 to myself and paid 500 euros for the diagnosis in the BMW dealer at Chateauroux.
I spoke to the supplier in Canterbury and he said he would look at it once it was returned to his workshop, he has agreed to supply us with a courtesy car whilst the problem is sorted out.
Where do I stand in respect of the cost that I have paid for so far and the repairs to our car or replacement/ refund.
Many thanks for your advice
Adrian Farrin
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Hello Adrian my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.How much are you out of pocket by? Did you pay for the vehicle on finance?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The car cost £12600 in October
The recovery to the UK will be £1038.00
The diagnosis in France cost 500 Euros
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a number we can chat on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
01233 712072
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
I will call shortly. Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Alex,
After considering my options I am inclined to give the car back , can I expect the dealer to give me back the total amount I paid plus any expenses incurred to inspect the vehicle and bring it back. Also what allowance will I have to give in respect of the 4.5 months use.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has given me a courtesy car in the meantime, do I have to accept another car off of him to the same value of my purchase
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Yes you can expect a refund. Alex