Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am about to become self-employed and work in a

I am about to become self-employed and work in a beauty salon as a nail artist. Owner wants me to pay 30% of my earnings to her and I can keep 70% of my earnings. I will be providing my own equipment and products, which I am really happy with. The owner also wants to put all my transactions through the till and pay me my 70% share once a week (which I am happy to agree to). It starts to sound strange for me because the owner of the salon also wants to take bookings for me, manage my bookings, advertise me and set a price list for me. She also wants me to apply 20% discount to HER regular clients. This part doesn't sound like self-employed beautician renting a chair but as if I was commission based employee. She also requested a copy of my passport as she needs it to add to her insurance but I do have my own professional insurance already covering me for everything necessary. I am worried because I think she can feel I will bring good business and she is trying to rip me off.
I would appreciate any kind of advice on this matter.
Kind regards,
Joanna.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. what would you like to know about this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenny, thank you for your prompt response. I would like to know whether it is right for a salon owner to rent me a chair in the salon, pay percentage on my earnings rather than set rent (for example weekly payment of £150 as a chair rent), request me to provide all equipment I need to provide services and control my clients / bookings and my price list. As I self-employed person I would expect to have more freedom - for example make my own bookings and set my own prices.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I think that you are right to expect that and certainly to ask that you do have those freedoms. This is not really a situation where the law controls what is agreed between the parties, this is more of a business issue. If you are paying chair rent then you can ask to have these freedoms but this may lead her to seek another hairdresser who would be prepare to agree to those terms. If this is the case then there is nothing you can do about it. Please do let me know if there is anything further you would like to know. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is good to know that this issue is more of an agreement between me and the salon owner and I have the right to request more freedom. I feel like she wants to make the most of the situation at the lowest possible costs, therefore she tries to pursue me into her having more control which doesn't sound well at all. I will try my luck as I received offer from another salon and it sounds much more of what I expect.Many thanks for your answer.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Good luck with this and I hope you can find work on the right terms for you. All the best Jenny.