Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Back in June 2015, I claimed back my small pension as could

Back in June 2015, I claimed back my small pension as could no longer afford to pay into it due to being out of work through illness. I was told by the pension company that I would be losing my pension by 2% per month if I didn't contribute anything so claimed what I had back. They paid back the money on medical grounds. I then sent my P45's to the benefits office (DWP) as I knew I had to this declare this new income and knew this was taxable. I didn't hear back from the benefits agency and thought no more of it. I have recently received a letter from the local compliance officer asking me to be available for a telephone interview regards ***** ***** of circumstances, which I have done as I sent back the relevant parts of the P45's back to DWP once I had received payment. Could this be the reason they want to speak to me and if so, what do I need to do as I have already done as instructed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I should have included to you that I currently receive ESA and PIP. Many thanks.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 9 months ago.
Yes , telephone "interviews" are generally just a way of ensuring that the person is available when they call. The call is likely to be for clarification of something or for more information/documentation.I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is something I am quite concerned about. After declaring this new income, I never heard anything back from the DWP and yet they carried on paying my benefits, even after I sent back all the required info. After digging a bit deeper and doing some research online, it appears at first glance that I am being investigated for benefit fraud which is not the case as I sent back all the documents. Why haven't they dealt with this issue sooner? Because now it is making me look bad. I don't really understand how the DWP operate anyway. please could you shed some light on this. Many thanks.
It does take the DWP a long time to deal with any changes they are notified of.It may be that they misfiled your documentation hence they believe they did not receive it or, as previously stated, they simply want to clarify something before making any necessary changesAs long as you acted honestly you have nothing to worry about.If they actually believed you had committed fraud you would be invited in for a formal interview under caution Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Michael, I've taken that on board. At the end of the day, I have presented the DWP with all the original documents and letters from the pension company (not copies) along with the P45's, plus a letter explaining why I drew my pension at an early age. (I'm 41). Is there anything else I can do to prove that they should have received that information, bearing in mind this was about 9 months ago. Many thanks again, Mark.
Dear ***** Not that I can think off.They are desperately slow to make adjustments and I would be very surprised if this turns out to be something sinister.If it does come back to us but I am not worried about this.Best regardsMichael
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience: I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas