JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

Aunt as moved into care home suffering with dementia. who

aunt as moved into care home suffering with dementia.
who pays service bills for her house while it is unoccupied
i am waiting for deputy power of attorney
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoonThank you for your message.In response to your question, if there is no power of attorney or deputy in place and the local authority are not managing your aunt's home, then in short, no one pays for the service bills. The best thing to do is keep the service suppliers updated with the progress of your deputyship application. They may ask you to sign something in a form of an undertaking that once you have access to your aunt's bank accounts, you will pay any ongoing and outstanding bills. The last thing you want is a debt action by the service suppliers for arrears. If you are being chased by them, take copies of their letters and send them to the Court. The Court will look at the facts and if they believe the matter to be urgent, they will take the necessary steps to either speed up your application or provide an interim Order to deal with the suppliers whilst you wait for the final Order appointing you as Deputy. Many service suppliers are aware of the deputyship process, in that it takes time so communicate with them regularly.I hope that helps.Best of luck, Kind regards Krystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
Thank you for your rating