29905560

I worked in 1993 when I left school,

Hello, I worked for sainsburys in 1993 when I left school, I happily did my Nvq in retail and gained my first qualification after my GCSEs.
My grandad father had recently died and a 65 year old packer at the tills called Stephen ( he had part of his thumb missing) was very sweet to me at the time. He showed me kindness and was not over friendly at this time!
A few months later I was unpacking jams on the shelf, rotating the stock and then moved the remaining stock in to the back room and the bottom of the store.
I continued to wash my hands and dry them. As I turned around Stephen greater me with placing his hand abruptly on my breast then continued to try and stick his tongue down my throat.
I pulled away and walked ( shocked, crying and shaking) to jean. ( Jean worked as a cashier supervised in them days)
She sat me outside and then went to tell Fred the store manager.
I expected Stephen to me removed as Fred the store manager and personal had told me. I was sent home.
I Told my parents what had happened as I was still living at home.
A few days later, I was called in to the managers office and shocked to discover I was then being accused of steeling money from the till! I was asked to go home as disaplinary actions where then in progress.
Again shocked and upset I spoke to my parents.
Mum used to work in the cash office and had left to look after my ill nan at home.
Alvina that had worked with my mother in the cash office called my mum to let her know Fred and personal had asked her to stage ( frame) me and make it look
Like money was missing from my till.
Now mum promised alvina that because she was still working in sainsburys, mum
Couldn't say that alvina had let her know I was framed in the board meeting with directors because alvina was affraid she would loose her job.
I as a 16 year old child at the time could not understand the situation or why I was being punished for a crime I did not commit..
I was punsihed because of the sexual assault
And instead of calling the police and investigating Stephen.. The company unfairly not only discharged me with no evidence at all.. But let Stephen continue working happily as a packer for
Years..
My question is now I am 39 years old where do I
Stand by suing this
Company? The man that sexually assaulted me will more than likely no longer be alive, that situation was bad enough, but living my life frightened to work with money because of what they did to me has been horrendous and why should this company actually get away with humiliating me in this mannor.
Thank you for your help
Miss T Downes
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello just to clarify what are you hoping to achieve in the circumstances? Please note that i may not be able to reply fully until later this eve thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me.
This isn't about suing a company for financial gain.
I would like sainsburys to admit they were in the wrong, treating individuals at 16 years old in this mannor is not acceptable. It plays on my mind from time to time. this was clearly a conspiracy against me because one of their workers could not keep his hands to himself, in those days sexual abuse was hidden away, this would have been a scandal for sainsburys. if I was older and mature enough to have something done about it.
I would have done something about it then.
Tanya
Hello Tanya, the issue here is that you will be way out of time to take any legal action. In law there are specific time limits within which a claim must be made, whether for financial gain or otherwise. You may have had a claim against them for unfair dismissal or sexual harassment, maybe for negligence as well but the longest time limit for any of these would have been 6 years, so if this happened in 1993 we are looking at 1999 at the latest to issue a claim. You are very late as you can see. There are very limited exceptions in which an extension is granted, such as if you were incapacitated and could not claim as a result but even then allowing an extension of over 17 years is extremely unlikely. There is no time limit for a criminal complaint you have seen on the news all the sexual harassment prosecutions being made now for historic offences), but this would be against the perpetrator, the individual. So the company will not be party to this and you cannot hold them legally responsible now. So you really have no options to take this further, apart from complain to the police about the individual, you are simply way too late to take any further steps. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for clarifying this for me, I am going through a list and eliminating wrong doings to myself, i wouldn't have been emotionally ready to face certain things at 22 years of age. I am however very educated and a stronger character now.
Thank you again for taking the time to explain
Kind regards Tanya
You are welcome, I do think that this is something which you now have to resolve personally/psychologically rather than legally, especially as you would not be able to do the legal route any more, but hope that it does bring some closure and allow you to move on. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'