Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter's house which is empty, pending sale

My daughter's house which is empty, pending sale appears to have had its locks changed by person(s) unknown.
We are the key holders and agents as our daughter now lives in the US.
Can we just engage a locksmith, gain entry and change the locks?
What do we do if someone is in there?
We know neighbours well (they are local key holders) and they alerted us today when they could not gain entry for people who were collecting furniture they have paid for. The keys, which they have been using, will not even now go into the key holes.
Kind regards,
Nigel ******
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Was it previously tenanted? How were the locks changed?As long as the property is not tenanted and your daughter has given you authority to deal with the property there is nothing stopping you from changing the locks.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you