Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

With my dads total consent the bank added my name to his

With my dads total consent the bank added my name to his bank account thus setting up a joint account with both parties having access to the money. My dad was mentally in control when this was done. When my dad died my niece was one of the ones named in the will. She is now accusing me of taking money out of the account for my own purpose even though at the time dad gave me the money.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. How much money is she claiming?As a starting point, money in a joint bank account automatically passes to the surviving person and if it is alleged that this should not happen there has to be evidence presented, such as something from your late father, detailing his intentions. If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you