How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I wanted to know how I may proceed with a Landlord who

Customer Question

I wanted to know how I may proceed with a Landlord who may be in breach of Tenant Deposit Protection (TDP) legislation as he did not secure our deposit within a month of receipt.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How much was your deposit please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deposit was £575 and it was paid 1st October 2015. But the landlord only secured it yesterday.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The law says they must protect it within 14 days and if not you can claim x3 the deposit back so £1725You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation of £1725 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. Just finally, should I get a lawyer to write the initial request for compensation letter and what loses can I claim for?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, you can do this. You can only claim x3 the deposit, that is it.Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck. Alex