31090051

My brother had a heart attack and is in hospital, his wife

Customer Question

my brother had a heart attack and is in hospital, his wife will not allow me or my parents access because she claims she is Next of Kin. As far as we know no legal documents exist stating she has power of attorney or that she has been nominated at next of kin, thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Unless the hospital has a nomination from your brother that his wife is his next of kin, or that she has power of attorney, she has no power to prevent you visiting him. Next of kin has no legal meaning otherwise and no person is automatically next of kin. This is something that hospitals and certain other institutions sometimes ignore. Unless anything can be produced to say otherwise no-one has the right to prevent you having access to your brother and your parents their son. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.