29905560

How long should it take insurance co to settle a claim

How long should it take for an insurance co to settle a claim if a car is a write off
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you having difficulties getting a settlement from your insurance company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The claim has been ongoing since early January
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have there been any specific reasons for the delay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
There is no specific time limit within which a settlement for a write off must be issued. However, the insurer should not unreasonably delay such decision. What is reasonable will depend on the circumstances – what has happened, have they had the chance to value the car, are there any outstanding issues, etc. From personal experience when I had a write off the settlement took a couple of months from date of accident so if you are waiting since January, until now it is not a delay which will necessarily be too long. You can of course chase them for information on this and request updates; if none are forthcoming then you do have the right to raise a formal complaint with them and pursue this as far as you can using their internal complaints procedure. If at the end of this you have not resolved the situation then you have the option of going to the Financial Ombudsman – an independent regulator for the insurance industry, which can make a binding decision and award compensation against the insurer if they are found to have acted unreasonably. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you