29905560

I am looking into applying and I am often being

I am looking into applying for credit and I am often being asked if I am a 'homeowner'. I live in a house which I paid the deposit for, but only my husband is on the deed and the mortgage. So- am I homeowner or not?! I feel I am more than a tenant or lodger....! If I don't count as a homeowner am I less likely to get said credit?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello just to confirm - you are married rather than just cohabiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes we are married, and we were married when the house was bought also. Thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Whilst you may not appear on the deeds of the house, as one half of a married couple you are entitled to half of the ‘matrimonial pot’ so to speak. So basically the assets which you and your husband have belong equally to you both. So you are technically a homeowner because you have entitlement to have of the house which your husband legally owns. Therefore, you can indicate on applications that you are a homeowner. Whether that makes it more likely that you will get credit, I cannot say because each lender has its own criteria for determining the eligibility of an applicant but it is not usually a major factor in their decision. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks fantastic, thank you so much for your clear response!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best