29905560

My boyfriends friend was in charge of the company twitter

My boyfriends friend was in charge of the company twitter account, however left this job 1.5 years ago but they didnt revoke his access. After a few drinks on friday they posted tweets from this company account which were deleted but I am just wondering what would happen if the company wanted to take legal action?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What was the nature of the tweets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were saying that they had made staff redundant and made comments like it was now being ran by muppets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and I think a couple of people were named there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you still there?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
As he no longer works there obviously they cannot take disciplinary action or similar so the only option is to take legal action. In the circumstances their options are rather limited. They could try and sue under malicious falsehood or defamation, however these are not easy and quite expensive to pursue and also they would need to show that some losses or damages had been suffered by the company. In the circumstances that is unlikely or if it did happen – it would be a minimal value. Criminally, they could try and report this to the police because he would not have had authorisation to post on their account but they did leave his access open and in reality I do not see the police taking this much further, perhaps they could issue a warning or caution but charging him is unlikely. So he should not panic at this stage, leave things as they are and hopefully this will just blow over. If they do take it further then the potential repercussions are not too serious. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is great thank you so much!! I will of course rate 5 stars. Can I just check about the £38 payment, is that a one-off payment rather than monthly?
thank you so much
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It does not appear you have taken out a subscription so it should indeed be a one off payment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great thanks so much Ben!
Laura
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best