12826847

Is there any benefit in being represented by a solicitor in

Is there any benefit in being represented by a solicitor in a simple traffic case of excess alcohol where the accused will plead guilty?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello what was the alcohol reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
52
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add some more background, the breath test was taken after police stopped at an accident involving the car / driver and damage to a third party garden wall. There were no other parties involved or injuries. The accident was as a result of said driver avoiding another vehicle which did not stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???? Anything further you can add?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How did he come to collide with a wall while avoiding another driver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After turning a corner, the driver was faced with the third party diving on the wrong side of the road,and in order to avoid a head-on collision, the only option was to veer left into the garden wall of another party. The speed at the time was around 15mph.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is he charged with drink driving alone or also driving without due care and attention?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charge was drink driving alone / excess alcohol, no other offence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is generally better to have representation than to self represent. There are lots of reasons for it. However, he won't get legal aid and so will have to pay privately and the cost is obviously something to consider. The reality is that the reading is in the lowest sentencing bracket and even though the offence is aggravated by the fact of an accident, it doesn't change the sentencing bracket. It is quite unlikely that a solicitor would make a material difference to sentence on these facts. Using a solicitor probably would make the experience more comfortable for him but no more than that. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very helpful thanks Jo, good advice. Matter is concluded!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.