29905560

I resigned few month ago but now I am checking my

I resigned few month ago but now I am checking my previous contract and found a line that says and I quote "once notice of termination is given you will not be permitted to work for any other person or a company or on your own behalf without company's prior written permission". I don't know how I signed it but is it there now. Shall I comply? I would rather not contact the company. What are the risks if I don't?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello has your notice period finished and your employment officially terminated? Please note I am on the move now so may not be able to reply fully until I am back within an hour or so thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben, thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, the notice finished few months ago and I have no contact with the company since then.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hell, thanks for your patience. Do not read this clause in a way that you have to seek your employer’s permission to get any work after your employment terminates. Such a clause would never stand up or be enforceable. What this clause actually tries to do is that once you have submitted your notice of termination and are working your notice period, you would not be allowed to seek work elsewhere unless you have the employer’s permission. They can only bind you to this whilst you are still employed by them. Once your employment terminates they cannot require you to seek their written permission to go and work elsewhere – what you do is up to you and you certainly would not need their express permission to seek work elsewhere. They could have a specific post-termination restriction which may prevent you from working for certain companies in competition or deal with certain clients, etc but these need to be specifically clarified in a clause, not just have a general clause like this one. So you do not need to worry about this anymore – you are free to go and work for whoever you want and in whatever capacity you want without having to get the ex-employer’s permission. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much, that was very helpful.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best