12826847

Sending a death threat to an ex partner. This is someone who has no previous conv

Sending a drunken death threat to an ex partner.
This is someone who has no previous convictions, and never been in trouble for anytype of violence related crime. This was one email sent when majorly intoxicated and the offender has since committed himself to an alcoholic anonymous programme as he accepts he has a major problem. Is this a criminal record or what? The offender in question is disgusted at their behaviour, has apologised but is concerned what could come from this drunken mistake
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What was the threat please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"I will kill you"
Threatend his new partner to but not a threat to kill
I feel sick just thinking about what I've said. He knows I was just drunk and won't take it further I don't think but this has scared me and need to know the consequences of my actions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there a history of summonsing up the police to relationship disputes between you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police have never been involved not once during our two years or since we broke up.
I'm ashamed. I'm worried I'll get criminal record or be arrested or even sent to prison! I googled stuff today. But I wasn't in my right frame of mind, I don't even remember sending it. I do have a drink problem I believe
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if the new partner has a history of calling the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not once
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is quite unlikely that people with no history of keeping the police on speed dial are going to start calling them about one single text. Life just isn't really like that. Malingerers tend not to be people who have no history.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This won't be charged as a threat to kill anyway.Most likely they would just offer a caution for malicious communication or public order.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Threat to kill is quite hard to prove.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
and extremely expensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have to declare a caution when applying for any job?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What do you do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well just for any future job or do I have to declare it until it's 'spent' after 5 years?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
A caution is spent immediately but it will still show on enhanced checking for life and on standard checking for five years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time you have helped a lot
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best.