75100385

The house next door to us is derelict. It is not registered

The house next door to us is derelict. It is not registered at Land registry and the Council have confirmed to me they have no known owner and are not receiving any council tax for it. The property has been empty following the death of the owner 12 years ago. Up until 3 years ago the nephew of the previous owner used to come and maintain the gardens and we assumed he owned the house. He stopped maintaining the property about 3 years ago and the telephone number we had for him does not get answered. The vegetation in the garden is now so overgrown it has broken and pushed our fences over. There is a covenant stating we have to maintain a 6ft fence. We now need to cut down the vegetation at ground level on the neighbouring side of the border to be able to replace our fence and prevent further damage. We can access the property because the fence panels are now down. Are we able to do this without repercussions?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Yes you can. You have a right under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992. You can do this without a problem/Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex