75100385

There. Yesterday I made an offer on a property .

Hi there. Yesterday I made an offer on a property for rent. I was quite stupid and I did this only after seeing the photos and having a few chats with the Agent.
This was because he said it was impossible to see the property until next Saturday.
He pushed me quite hard, saying that there were another offers and mine would not be accepted if I sent later.
Anyway, I indeed signed the offer letter. I'm not realising how much risk I exposed myself too.
The offer hasn't been accepted yet, is there anything I can do to withdraw the offer or alternatively get the agent to show me the property? I'm happy to provide the letter offer for you to analyse.
Thanks,
Pedro
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To make it even more stressful for me, the letter offer they sent me has more fees than the ones showing on their website:
http://www.thorgills.com/feesThe offer letter they sent me:
Terms & Conditions of Offer
Further to the initial £553.20 reservation fee, your remaining balance to pay before you begin your tenancy is
£4,769.23. £1000.00 of this amount must be paid immediately once your formal offer is accepted. The remaining
balance due will then be £3,769.23 which is payable within five days of your offer being accepted. Any payments
made by debit or credit card over the amount of £1000 will incur a 2% surcharge.
Acceptance of your Reservation Fee does not imply a tenancy, which will only be created when the tenancy
agreement has been signed by all parties. Should you cancel your offer at any point or fail Thorgills referencing
procedures there is an administration charge of £700 payable. Please note that the balance of all moving-in monies
cannot be paid by cheque
In any circumstances where monies are refundable this will take up to 10 working days.Administration Fee
An administration fee of one weeks' rent is payable to cover the cost of the tenancy agreement, Credit checks,
professional referencing, and any other general administrative requirements. Once your offer has been accepted, this
administration fee is not refundable at any time, unless the landlord should withdraw from the offer. Should the
tenancy fail to proceed through no fault of your own, a charge of £40 + VAT will be payable per reference started.Referencing
In order to pass referencing, you will require a clean credit history, proof of ability to meet rental payments for the
term of the tenancy and a previous landlord reference, if applicable. To pass referencing, all tenants combined, must
earn 2.3 times the yearly rent, per annum. Failure to meet this criteria, will require an advance rental payment of
seven months or/and a UK based homeowner willing to act as a guarantor. If you require a visa to be eligible to live in
the UK this must be provided in order to pass any referencing procedure. Signing of this document confirms your
understanding of Thorgills minimum referencing requirements, failure to pass referencing will result in your
administration fee being forfeited.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just signed the offer letter, I haven't signed any tenancy agreement. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Is there anything about termination please?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Alex, I have attached the letter.
Let me know if you have any question.Also, I just got a call from the agent. My card details were wrong and they were not able to take the reservation fee from my bank account. It was a mistake when he took note last week I guess, but I haven't corrected him just because I don't want to proceed with the offer before I see the house. Am I committed to pay the reservation fee by having signed the reservation letter?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Well if you and the Landlord have both NOT signed the contract then it is not binding.All you have done is reserved it, nothing else. There is nothing in the letter that says you cant end it. In any event the deal is dependant on both you and the Landlord signing the contract.This means the agreement is subject to contract, that is EITHER party can pull out at ANY time before contracts are signed.So yes, you can cancel.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Alex, thank you for your answer. Regarding the holding deposit, will I lose it if I withdraw my offer?Also, there is mentioning a £700 fee? Finally: there is also this part:Administration Fee
tenancy fail to proceed through no fault of your own, a charge of £40 + VAT will be payable per reference started.If I withdraw which fees would I need to pay?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
You lost the £700 but that is it. Nothing else, you dont have to sign a contract. But unless you KNEW or AGREED in advance to the £700 cancellation fee, then you wont lose it.They cant get you to agree and then provide you with the letter AFTER saying £700 is payable. So if they didnt notify you in advance or give you this letter before you agreed to rent, they can NOT take £700.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if the offer is accepted and then I withdraw? Would I need to pay more fee's?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
No, not UNLESS it was agreed in advance or they notified you before you signed the contract.But you can't get out if the Landlord AND you have signed the agreement. If both have signed you are stuckDoes that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I signed the reservation offer letter I attached. But I still didn't pay the reservation fee.I'm I legally bind to pay the reservation fee because I have the letter signed?
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
No! Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.
Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Good luck! Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience