12826847

I am a serving police officer currently suspended. I

Customer Question

Hello, I am a serving police officer currently suspended. I was arrested for an offence which has now been dropped due to no evidence. During this search my phone was seized and no criminal evidence was found however they looked through conversations between my wife and I (my wife is a force contoller), we would talk about work and the police have seen two pictures that i sent to my wife, one of a car involved in an RTC where the driver was her cousin and another of a table top that had exhibits on it, although you cannot make out what the exhibits are. My question is can they use other items found on my phone that are not criminal in nature? and outside the date range for what the phone was seized for?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello in what way do you think they will use this information against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are using two pictures that i sent to my wife as gross misconduct. One is of a car involved in an rtc that was my wife's cousin and the other was of a table of evidence bags although you cannot see what is in them. They have also used two statements that my sent to me, one telling her cousin was involved in an rtc and the other about a person who had been arrested after an assault. These were normal conversations we would have as we are both in the police family. They have suspended my wife for breach of data protection and me for confidentially breach. My main issue is that they have gone looking into areas of my phone that they didn't have to be in.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. How long have you worked there for please?