12826847

I have been being pursued by Student Finance England

Customer Question

I have been being pursued by Student Finance England for an outstanding amount of £1087.00 since 2012. The amount is in dispute and therefore I am not avoiding payment. I do not think I am liable for the payment at all. I wrote to them in response to their last letter on 14th March 2013 by recorded delivery and have heard nothing since. I have received a letter this week claiming that I have failed to respond to previous requests and that they are passing the matter to a debt collection agency Advantis Credit Limited, this incidentally is the same claim they made when I responded last time. Can I take them to court in order to settle this matter as they are clearly refusing to recognize my dispute of the charges and in avoidance of damaging my credit history?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, but you can defend any action that they bring against you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any way that a defendant can sue a claimant in order to dispose of the claimant's claim. You have to wait to be sued.Apart from anything else, you would have the burden of proof if you acted first.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Debt collection activities do not damage credit ratings though. It is only actual court action that can do that. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo. That's all I needed to know. I was just trying to be pro-active. I will wait with bated breath for them to take action. I am more than happy to defend myself in a court of law.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem All the best.