75100385

I went to a country park today which I visit on an

Customer Question

I went to a country park today which I visit on an almost daily basis and I have done over the last 6 years. I work in the morning so I go here to relax and then go for a run. Today as it was a nice day on arrival at the park I was sunbathing for 30 minutes in the car and then I went for my run. It was a half term so it was busier than usual. On arrival back at my car I noticed that there was a police car nearby ad then as I went to get into my car the police patrol car pulled by me and said Jonathan is it? I reply yes that's correct and the officer said we have had reports that you are watching children, as I am sure you can appreciate I was very shocked by this and I explained to the 2 officers that I come here on an almost daily basis, I park in the spot and have done over the past 6 years, I explained to them that I come here to relax and go for a run and that I have done this for many years, I was very annoyed about the accusation which this person had made about me, however the officers said they have to respond to the report. As far as I concerned this person who phoned the police should be prosecuted for wasting police time and I also feel like sueing the person for slander and defamation of my character. I would like to know my legal rights on this matter and how to proceed?. Best Regards,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my question?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You want to sue for slander and want the person prosecuted, is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's correct but I don't want to pay anymore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how I go about sueing for slander and getting this person prosecuted?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thats fine, a phone call is an extra service but we can keep it online.The first point about wasting Police time - only the Police can take that decision, you can not make them. Any decision to prosecute is taken by the Police after considering all the evidence. Many charges have no further action or are dropped, but that does not necessarily mean the Police then prosecute for wasting Police time. Its a matter for the Police whether they do, which sadly you can not influence.As for slander point - you can take action if you can show under the Defamation Act 2013 that you have suffered serious harm. That is the key test.If you can then you can issue proceedings but they MUST be in the High Court. These are quite specialist proceedings and you are looking at around £15,000 or so in legal fees to get it to trial.I also need to tell you if you take it to Court and lose, then you would be liable for the legal costs of the other side.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the accusation made I think in itself is causing me serious harm, I think its disgusting how a person can make such an accusation and me not able to defend myself. What has the world come too if a person cannot enjoy sunbathing/relaxing in their own car. Money is not an issue but I need to know how I get the details of the person who made this verbal accusation to the police which as far as I am concerned is slander?.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You would need to make an application to Court to get this information, otherwise it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act if they just gave it to you.You would need to complete form N244:http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdfThe court will list it for hearing and there is a Court fee of £155.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't gone to court though. She just phoned the police they came out had a quick chat with me and went.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I still think its slander.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know. But if you want the details of who it was you need to make an application for disclosure from the Police and they will only disclose that with a Court order.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean under freedom of information act?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, because they wont give it to you under that.You need to apply to the County Court for an Order that they disclose the details of the complainant.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok in your experience what are my chances of winning a slander/defamation claim?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its hard, because its High Court proceedings and you have to prove you have suffered serious harm. You cant just say you have, you need to prove it.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This court form doesn't really apply to me to be honest.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
But you need to make an application to Court.This can only be done on form n244 which is the application notice.This is the ONLY form which you can use.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah but the person has accused me of "looking at children" when I was simply sunbathing in my car, that's pretty serious harm to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the info in top right I don't have or is not applicable.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
As I said that is the test. If you can convince a High Court Judge that it is serious harm you may have a case.But if there is no physical or psychological damage you have suffered, that makes it harder to prove serious harmThe Court fee to issue the claim is £280, to hear the claim is £1090.The top right is not applicable because you have not issued proceedings yet. But you still need to put who the Claimant (you) and Defendant is (Police)Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so a person makes an accusation such as above, its proven by police to be untrue and I have to go through all this, I just canr understand it, I want this person brought to justice and I need a step by step plan in order to do so at the moment I am still confused as to the steps I need to take.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a world its going to be if I go around reporting men and women who are sitting their cars and accusing them of looking at children, its just ridiculous.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
1) You make an application for disclosure against the Police using form n244 with a fee of £1552) The court will list for hearing and decide whether to order disclosure3) If the Court does they provide the details4) You then issue a claim against the person for slander/defamation in the High Court with a fee of £2805) The claim is then heard in the High Court with a hearing fee of £1090Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) If app not approved do I still pay £1552) How do I go about issuing a claim against the person for slander/defamation, is there another form for that?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
1) yes, because its the application fee2) That is form N1 - http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdfAlex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why an earth do I pay for an application for details of a person who has reported me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely this is available under FOIA?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, because it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 to disclose who it was.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done research online and it says under FOIA I am entitled to know what made the report
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but not WHO.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you mean who?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You want to sue the person who made the complaint.The Police WONT give you that under FOI.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says under FOIA I am entitled to know to who made the verbal report and contents of the oral report.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You are NOT. That is WHY you need a Court order.It is EXEMPT information.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very strange online it says I am entitled to know that under FOIA
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am a Solicitor. I am sure the person giving the information is not.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok in your experience what are the chances of the court giving me the information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do they usually give it out?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its exempt under S.31 of the FOI Act.Try it then if you think you can request it. They have 40 days to comply and if they do not you can raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner.If that does not work then you can apply to the Court.I have not seen all the evidence so can not give a view one way or another about what a Judge may or may not do. That would be unfair of me.Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I can invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you. The question does not close and you can ask me follow ups. Thanks. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok in your experience what are the chances of the court giving me that info?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because without it I cant even make a claim?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I think you have a shot at it. But it depends on the Judge on the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I want to make a serious claim for slander/defamation
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh yes a lot, its the nature of the accusation which really bothers me which is "Looking at children" its a serious allegation which in my opinion if not proven then its slander and caused me serious harm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But on the other hand Im wondering whether I would be giving the details of the person who made the accusation?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well it would be up to you to prove it caused serious harm in Court.Is there anything else you would like to ask me about this that I can clarify for you today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok does the same data protection act apply to me as well like the police would not be allowed to give her my details, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah mentally its caused me serious harm
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Once you make a claim in Court they will know your name and address as Claimant yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okso I would know her name and address and she would know mine yeah? What about before though?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No. Not before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its definitely caused me harm reporting me to the police for looking at children that's caused me harm and its caused me harm mentally and possible affected my reputation.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not happy at all about it
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So your telling me I cant get the details of this person without applying for a court order, are you 100% sure on that?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I have to pay over £400 even before it goes to court? Why do they make it so difficult for the victim?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I dont know. They are the Court fees, which I cant do anything about. Its all to do with government cuts.Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its ridiculous though, people can just go around reporting people for anything knowing that its a cost them a lot of money even before they go to court.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I can only tell you what the law is and the legal remedy. I didnt say it was fair. Only politicians can change thatCan I help you with anything else today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately for this woman I will get justice at all costs
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - Can I help you with anything else today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said £15,000 to get it to court?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Legal fees if you instruct Solicitors yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems less than that though just over 400 then 1090
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the case where its one word against another, I mean she could stay I thought he was looking at children and I could say I was sunbathing, what tends to happen in these sort of cases, this is what I need to know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You have to PROVE the accusation was false and have suffered serious harmThe Defendant does NOT have to prove anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how an earth could I prove I was sunbathing as I was on my own at the time?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thats for YOU to prove, its your claim. That is the risk of litigation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although I am a season ticket holder at the park, the guys there know I go there daily and have done for years.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What else do you want to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whereas this woman was just there cos it was half term
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What else do you want to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I think id have a point there,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that would be enough to prove the accusation was wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fact ive been going there almost daily for 6 yrs parking in the same spot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then all of a sudden this person reports me?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I dont know. I have not seen all the evidence and have no idea what a Judge will say when making a determination on this.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other questions of me, before I go to bed as its 1230am and I need to be in the office for 8am?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its gonna look like a false accusation and police even said if you've been coming here for 6 yrs it probably wont happen again for another 6 yrs.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I have outlined the process, procedure and costs for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its going to be a difficult one for judge this I think but the accusation is serious and I really feel it has caused me harm so I think I should pursue it.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Good luck with this and please remember to rate before you go, otherwise the site does not pay me for all this time spent with you. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant believe I could pay 155 and then details cus be declined is that right?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct. That is the risk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Due to the nature of the accusation they might decline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I go from there alex?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I cant say.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its up to a Judge,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else before I go to bed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happened to the person I should have spoke to on here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant remember her name
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I dont know, there are lots of experts on here, but this appears to be your only question
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
My name is Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if somebody reports u to the police somebody would have to pay 155 to attempt to get the details of that person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just cant believe that why cant you get them under FOIA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says online you can.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes. As we have discussed and I have also outlined the process which you need to follow.As I have already said its exempt information under S.31
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's confused me.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you believe you can get it then ASK for it.I have also outlined that process and details of the Information Commissioner.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where did u outline that?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
At 12:02Its exempt under S.31 of the FOI Act.Try it then if you think you can request it. They have 40 days to comply and if they do not you can raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner.If that does not work then you can apply to the Court.I have not seen all the evidence so can not give a view one way or another about what a Judge may or may not do. That would be unfair of me.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My goodness its all very confusing
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I cant understand why its made so costly to get details,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If app declined for 155 where cud I go from there?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can't - thats the end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So in your experience whats the odds 80/20 70/40 50/50??
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I havent seen the evidence so I can't say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah but in general you must have some idea, more accepts than declines or?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
50/50
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really wow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surprising
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I really do need to go to bed as I am back in office at 8am.Anything other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the nature of the accusation im worried about in terms of the judge releasing details
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have any other questions I can answer before I go to bed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a tough one because as far as I am concerned its a serious allegation
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you do I will have to answer them in the morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dunno im still confused
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Well what else would you like to know?I have addressed everything I can think of several times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to bed?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as I said I was going to at 12:30am because I have to be in the office at work by 8am, so up at 7am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on what I have told you....
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances if the judge giving me the details of the person?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You already asked this and I said 50/50
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I asked in general you said 50/50 but what about my individual case?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes - 50/50
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm its all very confusing
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes loads
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Then can you please list them, number them and I will answer them in the morning for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I can sense your tired and want to go to bed
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please do remember to rate my answer in the meantime so the site pays me for the 2 hours spent with you. The question does not close and you are free to ask follow ups.