ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Sorry to bother you but my mother has dementar and had just

Customer Question

hi sorry to bother you but my mother has dementar and had just gone into a nursing home and she has left me with her rings, watch and earings, plus a glass cabinet filled with orniment's which when she was ok , she said that if anything happened to her I could keep she lived with me for 10 months and before that I looked after her for 7 years my brother and his wife also have 40,000 in cash of hers, which half of that they stole cashing in a life insurance policy of my fathers 7 years ago without my mothers permission, I was my fathers only child although my mother had 3 children, she now hates me because I can't cope with her any more, but I have a letter signed and witnessed saying that I could keep everything, but my half brother wants to collect everything and also says I cant have no money , how do I stand please
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 8 months ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask - did either your mother or your father have a will? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes but my brother is nearly 80 and has told me the money is there but has told my daughter that the money is all gone and I do not want to let the jewellery or the glass cabinet go,and as it is in my house I just wondered where I stood
Hello A few more questions: - what did you fathers will say?- who dealt with your fathers estate and obtained probate after his passing? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it said that the money had to be shared between me my brother and my daughter, after my mothers passing, but she has not passed yet, but he has told me that he wants to remove the glass cabinet and items inside and her jewellery but my mother gave me a signed and witnessed letter to say that if anything happed then I should keep everything to gether in my house which she signed, but it was my sister-in-law that claimed the policy and it wasn't until christmas 2014 that my mother and her had a blazing row that my brother found out about it, when my mother accused her of stealing I don't want to let the bits go and loose everything
Hello Thank you for your response. Just so I can try and get to the bottom of this for you - would you say the following is correct: - Your dad's will left everything to your mum?- you are worried that your brother./ sister in law have managed to claim a policy for your father and they may have kept this for themselves rather then giving this to your mum?- you are worried about the validity of a letter by your mum - giving you some of her possessions? is that all correct if so -- 1) does your mothers will also say that everything is to be split between you and your brother when she passes?2) has your mother made any new will?2) does the will say that these certain possessions will be yours or is it simply the letter? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. between me my brother and my daughter
2. no new will
3. says all that is left in my house is mine
HelloThank you for your response.As your mother is still alive then there is no reason for you to hand over the items that are in your possession now.If you mother were to pass, as the will allows for all assets to pass to you - then you should argue at that time that they belong to you anyway.In respect of your fathers policy - as it appears your father left everything to your mother - then this money is your mothers. If you are concerned that this has not been kept for your mother but spent by your brother then you should ask for full disclosure as to what was paid out and if any has been spent how this was spent. If you remain concerned then you should consider reporting this to the police as possible fraud.Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist furtherKind RegardsPlease kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today