75100385

I have been hit with a legal bill service charge

I have been hit with a legal bill for missed service charge payment on a property I rent out. My re-direct mail didn't reach me and as such I wasn't aware the payment was due. As soon as I found out I paid the Service Charge but have been asked to pay the associated legal costs with the action taken against me. Service Charge Amount owing was £800, the legal costs I have being asked to pay are £1200 with £120 these relating to court fees although I was able to pay what I owed before a CCJ. The legal costs seem excessive action and an in-proportionate amount for a debt that was less than 6 months old. (I also have a long history of paying on time)
I have made a compliant against the building management company as to their rigour of their process in making in contact. I feel they could have made more effort to phone and they choose not to use an email address they had previously corresponded with me on.
Is there any option for me to get these fees reduced or exempt as I have paid what I am owed and are not the law firms client. Law firm are now stating they will take legal action against me if I do not pay within 7 days.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Have you asked for a breakdown of these costs please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - All I have been provided with is
Arrears: £868.01
Interest: £10.25
Legal Costs: £990.00
Court Costs: £80.00
Court Fees: £115.00
Land Registry Fee: £3.00
Less Payment Made: -£878.26
Current Balance: £1188.00I asked for a breakdown of the legal costs but this is all they have provided. Should I request more detail.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can do that. The court fee and Land Registry fees will be payable sadly.But you can ask for a breakdown of the £990. This is because they will keep a detailed work print of what has been done, you can ask to see this and challenge it if necessary.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I am not the client and have settled the debt Is there anything that would mean that these legal costs are attributed to me and must be paid by me. They seem excessive and disproportionate. I will pay the court fees.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would agree. But its only the legal fee of £990 which you can dispute. Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,Do you have any advice on which grounds I will be able to challenge. What would be their next steps if I continued to not pay them? Would they have any grounds to take action against me?Clare
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I assume there are already Court proceedings in place due to the costs. If you did not pay them they could get a charge on your property for the debt and seek a Court order to sell. All of this would of course increase any legal costs owing. Does that clarify Clare? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so - If I am understanding you correctly you are dvising to pay the outstanding amount and other than disouting how the costs got so high - just pay them
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would certainly consider doing that. I am sorry its not better news but it could get out of control. Does that clarify? Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that clarifies - thanks