Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My wife has applied British citizen a couple of weeks

Customer Question

My wife has applied for her British citizen a couple of weeks ago. She not criminal or traffic records. Just the other day she received a penalty charge notice P. For driving in a bus lane and told to pay £30 by the council. Should she report it to the home office?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. There is no need to report this fixed penalty notice for a minor offence to the Home Office. When it comes to citizenship, whilst a person must be shown to be of "good character" this solely relates to non-minor offences which have some impact upon a person's character. Getting a fixed penalty is not something which is relevant in deciding on the issue of citizenship. The Home Office would be interested if it was a serious offence, because this might have some impact upon the application made for citizenship. However, a fixed penalty notice is neither here nor there. It is just irrelevant.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what about this abstract from the guidance booklet:
"– 3.2 You must give details of all criminal convictions both within and outside the United Kingdom. These include road traffic offences. Fixed penalty notices (such as speeding or parking tickets) must be disclosed, although will not normally be taken into account unless:"... Am really confused..
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Guidance notes are not the law. They are some civil servant's version of what they want people to do. See the other question where I have answered this in full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help...much appreciated
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. You are welcome.