JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

Can you tell me if an executor to a will has the right to

Can you tell me if an executor to a will has the right to not pay out and to make a decision if he feels he is acting correctly on what he believes should not be payed out?
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Thank you for your question.The answer in short is, your actions as executor must be in line with the testator's wishes. If they have stated a specific person to benefit from their estate, their entitlement remains. If you decide not to pay out their entitlement, you run the risk of being sued by that beneficiary. Essentially as executor, you have to act impartial and any opinions or views on the testator's wishes and choice of beneficiaries have to be set aside to avoid becoming personally liable should you decide not to pay out their entitlement. You must protect yourself in these circumstances.I hope that helps. Best of luck,Kind regards Krystel *Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
Thank you for your rating