Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have used a piece of land abutting my garden 13

I have used a piece of land abutting my garden for about 13 years. How do
I claim squatters rights
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Could you confirm if this land has been fenced in by you and does therefore form an integral part of your garden?Do you know who owns the land?Do you know if the land is registered at the Land Registry?Has any owner of the land ever consented to you using it?I look forward to hearing from you.Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The land has been fenced. No-one has ever asked me to leave. I believe the
land is owned and probably registered
Hi,Thanks.The most important thing is that the land has been fenced in. On this basis, and on the basis that no-one has ever formally granted you consent to use the land, and no-one has objected, you will have grounds to apply for possessory title of the land at the Land Registry.You will need to instruct a local Solicitor to assist you with the application, as the procedure is different, depending on whether the land is already registered or not. Either way, you will need to complete a Declaration or Statement of truth confirming your usage of the property/the length you have used it/ and that no-one has ever objected to your use of the land.Your Solicitor will of course go through the finer details with you.I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers.If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind RegardsAl