75100385

I SOLD caravan. The new owner has returned to me six

Hi. I SOLD caravan. The new owner has returned to me six months later stating is is a cat a write off and was supposed to be crushed. I had no idea and was not informed by the family I bought it off. I did sell it but was unaware of the insurance write off. Have I committed crime? person is threatening me with legal action
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see email trail below.Andy, to say we are gutted would be an understatement! After spending lots of nights, weekends, and money, repairing the caravan to a reasonable standard and putting right all the hidden damage (mainly caused by extreme dampness) see attached. You had made it quite clear on a number of occasions that the caravan was (CRIS) registered in your name and that we should transfer it to our name. You also promised to forward the documents which never arrived even after I tried to contact you by text (no reply). This in turn prevented us from being able to register.Notwithstanding all of the above, we were in a position to upgrade to a newer model and were offered a part-ex valuation of £1500 against our caravan. Until the dealer informed us that the caravan had a Cat A+B insurance claim against it recorded.
What this means is that it should have been scrapped/destroyed at the time of the claim and must not be sold.The result of this information is that the caravan is now worth no more than £150 scrap value at best.Also, because of the claim, even if repaired by an authorised dealer we still would not be able to insure it.
The bot***** *****ne is that we have a caravan we can't use and can't sell and most of all we are the best part of £1500 out of pocket.
I would urge you to try and contact the previous owner as we have no option but to seek legal advice and try and recoup our losses.
Iain.
image6.JPGimage7.JPGimage8.JPGimage9.JPGimage10.JPGSent from my iPadOn 31 Mar 2016, at 19:04, Andy McCutcheon wrote:Hi Iain, we are very sorry you are in this predicament. When we sold the vehicle to you we were not aware of this. We bought the caravan in Feb 2013 from a family in Clitheroe and we we're not told of this at the time and took the honesty of the sellers at face value.Are you able to give more information about the circumstances? The attachment does not give any explicit details about date, place, context. We are just as upset as we have been using this caravan for over two years unaware that it could be dangerous. We would certainly not have used it if that had been known at the time.I have not got the details of the previous owner but will contact eBay to see if they can advise.I am very sorry. What were your repair bills? And what would you like the next stage to be.Yours sincerely, AndyOn 31 Mar 2016 10:41, Iain Sharpe wrote:
Please refer to cat AB :- Andy, I am in the process of part exchanging the van after spending a lot of money repairing it!
The problem is that there is an insurance Cat A-B against the caravan. You failed to mention this at the time of sale. You need to contact me ASAP.
Iain SharpeSent from my iPhone
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether you are private or a dealer seller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a private seller
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When did he buy it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
August 2015.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
As a private seller the warning is buyer beware. Even if you were a trader they would only have six months to reject the goods. Clearly this is over the time.
In any event unless you know it was a write off you have no liability. The buyer should have made whatever checks they needed to be satisfied as to the caravan.
So in short you are not liable. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex