F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I built a website and the registrant of this site is in

hi
i built a website and the registrant of this site is in my name
if i am the Registrant of the website.
and my partner uses this site for her business. do i legally own that website
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Who paid for the site? Domain and building?Can we have full background to any dispute please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initially i paid for the design and i did all the images and text for the site.
but over the last 2 years my partner has paid for the hosting of this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she also now pays for the domain name renewal
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Under the Sale of Goods Act and the Supply of Goods and Services Act, title to “goods”, which would include the website and the domain by virtue of her use and control, passes on delivery unless there is any kind of retention of title in any contract paperwork which states words such as, Title to the goods belongs to the Seller until paid for in full. I imagine, that as it is you and your partner, there is no such paperwork.The situation with the domain is clear . Even though it’s in your name, it is hers. Just like a V5 for a car is not proof of ownership nor is the fact that the domain is in your name.Whilst she “owns” the website and can use it as she wishes and would probably have a claim against you if you were to take it down and a claim for harassment if you are to take it down and put a message on which was anything other than the original site, the actual content intellectual property still belongs with you.Therefore, in the absence of any agreement to the contrary, you would be able to sell the content on to as many people as you wish provided she had access to it. On the other hand she would not be able to sell it to anybody else which only becomes a problem if ever she wants to sell the site.Is there anything else in respect of this I can help with?Please dont forget to rate positive.Best wishesFES