How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47417
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can I obtain cctv footage accident happened on

Customer Question

Can I obtain cctv footage for road accident happened on 12/11/15? It is on the territory of Borough of Chelsea and Kensington.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is your involvement in all of this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been the driver on the car involved in an accident happen 4 mounts and 20 days ago.
Until now the case have been with my insurance company. I am not happy with what they have done and would like to take case private to the court.
I have a witness on my site, the third party has image from dash board camera witch is questionable.
If I could get a CCTV image from roar cameras around, that will support my side
Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rumen, sorry I was in meetings by the time you had replied. It is indeed possible to try and obtain CCTV footage of traffic cameras as your personally identifying data, such as vehicle and registration number, would have been recorded. Therefore, under data protection laws you have the right to see that footage. So you can write to the relevant authority responsible for those cameras – this could be the local Council or the Highways Agency, it is unlikely to be the police. However, you may have an issue with this because CCTV data is only stored for a limited time, which is usually a month. So you may find that the recordings are no longer in existence because they would not have had a duty to store them for 4 months. You have nothing to lose by trying to get the data of course but be prepared for the possibility of it not being the any longer.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the procedure you must follow to request the footage, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question. Your letter should include the following information:{C}· Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';{C}· Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;{C}· Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address;{C}· Any information you believe the organisation will require to find your information. For example, the road name, the date, the time of incident, vehicle details The organisation may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must send you a formal response within 40 days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben,
It is me again Rumen. Following your instruction I sent request to RBKC council and Transport for London. Now I am waiting for they replay witch may be up to 40 days.
I have a witness willing to come to court.
I am looking for a solicitor to represent my case. Can you help with that or are you be OK to do it yourself?
Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rumen, unfortunately we cannot take on clients via this site, which means that my help is limited to this website - if you need someone to take your case you have to find them independently elsewhere. I am sorry about that. But you can try and find a solicitor local to you here: