75100385

I entered in to a 5 year lease office suite. The agent

Customer Question

I entered in to a 5 year lease for an office suite. The agent who sold me the lease on behalf of the landlord agreed a list of repairs. The agent passed the agreed list to the managing agents. We moved in they started the repairs but the building went to auction the new owner says he was not told about the lsit and has no responsibility to us. The agents and the managing agents have told the new landlord but he wont do the repairs. Some are quite serious like toilets lighting and aircon. we tried for 12 months to get the landlord to do the repairs but he obtained planning to change another part of the buiding in to residential accommodation and so it was clear why he did not want to invest any money in to our suite. We had to give notice and move out we had no choice. The landlord has taken us to court for the remainder rent of the lease saying he did nothing wrong the agents said he was responsible and also he has health and safety to consider and warned him before we moved out. Our office is now flats and the landlord has rented them out. Is he correct he had no reposibiltiy under the terms of the lease even though an agreement was in place he was not told about. And can he claim for rent even though he has taken back the suite and changed it in to flats and rented them out
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you would like to know about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
my message will not go back to her via the link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as above

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The Landlord IS responsible unless there was any agreement to the contrary. He cant claim rent once he has taken it back and rented it out - he would be DOUBLE claiming. The Court wont allow this.But the Landlord is responsible for the fabric of the building - not the tenantCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes if the agreement was in place and he purchased the building at auction and says he was not told but told after is he still reposnible

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
He is, that agreement is binding. Its not your problem whether he was told.Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

may I ask what type of failures on the landlords part could result in degoration from grant please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes can you give me examples of what a landlord would do to derrigate from grant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You answered the above and said the court will not allow double recovery onnce the landlord took back the property and rented it out would you have a case law I could use please to support my case

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can find case law here as it is outside the remit of this site:http://www.bailii.org/Alex