12826847

I am a lady suffering with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Customer Question

Hello. I am a lady suffering with multiple sclerosis (MS). Two years ago, I discovered a "friend" who I then shared a house with, and acted as if she was my "unofficial" carer, had taken out a credit card with Capital One as if she was me. She was able to do this because the medications for my MS make me very groggy and sleepy! When I became aware of all this, I contacted Capital One and explained that I DID NOT take out the card! £4,000 had been spent on the card - a card I have never even seen!
Capital One have been relentless in targetting ME for making repayments! I reported everything to the Police, Action Fraud, The Financial Ombudsman, and just about every organisation I could discover, to help me with this. I also talked to the Citizens Advice Bureau who couldn't help me and I cannot afford a solicitor. None of the organisations I’ve contacted have been of any help to me at all!
Capital One are totally aware of my MS and what I have told them a million times, but they are like a broken record. They always hold ME responsible. Yesterday they sent me another email to make sure I keep paying them £1.00 a month (which I set up with them just to keep them off my back). I have already sent them my financial details and that I live on the benefits I receive because of my illness. I also told them yesterday that I discovered that the "ex-friend" recently changed her surname on Facebook, (I have been blocked on Facebook by the ex-friend), but a friend of mine in America who doesn’t know her has been able to see she has changed her surname, no doubt because she doesn’t want to be found) which they seemed to take on board, but today I received a phone call from them to ask me "would you like to speak to our speciaist team who could help me to make repayments”. So they are still holding me responsible! I said “No - I want you to write this whole thing off because it is making me extremely ill”. They told me they can't do that!!
When I talked to the Police, they said it would be deemed that I allowed the ex-friend to use “my credit card”!!!
It is Capital One’s fault about the £4,000. If they had better security on the cards they issue… they wouldn’t have had this situation.
Is there anything you can do to help me with all this – please??? This has been going on now for over 2 years and the stress is making me very, very ill!
Denise Rayner 1st April, 2016
Denise Rayner, Flat 3, Bicknell Court, 4 Westbourne Close, Westbourne, Bournemouth, BH4 9BW. Tel: 01202 768839 Email:***@******.***
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?