29905560

Is it illigal to record a conversation without the other persons

Customer Question

Is it illigal to record a conversation without the other persons consent?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. In what circumstances are you making the recordings and what would you like to use them for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben,
On one occasion my partner knew I was cheating with another women so she asked me to record a conversation between me and the other women for proof that she did kiss me because she was not admitting it to my partner at the time. My partner at the time has now got the recording.
Other occasions I recorded conversations with doctors etc so I didn't miss anything.
Another occasion was at my workplace my boss sent me to a building site that I thought contained asbestos so I asked him and recorded the conversation so I didn't miss anything.
None of the above knew I was recording them I'm in the UK have I done anything illegal.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
No it is not generally illegal to make recordings without the other person’s consent. What matters is how this will be used. If you are going to share the recordings with others then you would ideally need the consent of the recorded party. If you are just keeping the recordings for yourself then you do not need their consent. This site may be useful to explain things in a bit more detail: http://www.acitylawfirm.co.uk/recorded-conversations/ I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben these recordings are for my own reassurance but what about the situation with my previous partner she has the recording now is this something I should worry about.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
No, even if she did use it in some way, there is little that the recorded person can do so do not worry too much about it. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so just to clarify I shouldn't worry about having these recordings.
From your point of view have I done anything illegal?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
no, it happens a lot, do not be concerned
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean it happens a lot?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
people recording each other
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ben so just to summarise I have no need to be concerned
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
yes that is correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Ben
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome all the best. Please kindly leave your rating as well before you go many thanks