LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I Live in a small terraced cottage that has a extension on

I Live in a small terraced cottage that has a extension on the back that is my dinning/sitting room and open plan kitchen. The of the dinning room window faces my neighbours double extension wall, 5 ft away and there is no natural sunlight getting into the room. The electric light has to be used all the time.
Because off this I painted the wall white and it made my room so much better.
The neighbours wall cannot be seen unless you walk down a narrow passage but he is insisting the wall be replastered or he will take me to court.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this. I can't think of any right your neighbour has to tell you what colour you can paint your walls. Is this an external wall? Even if it is an outside he has no right to take the action he suggests unless there is some rule (eg due to being in a conservation area, or if you are part of a development that restricts external decoration) . How does he justify this threat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says it is his wall and I can not paint it white to improve the light in my dining room and that I have to either return it to the concrete colour or re render the wall.