75100385

Our daughter recently left her partner. They had a joint tenancy

Our daughter recently left her partner. They had a joint tenancy which expired on 31st March. She took on a new lease commencing 1st April. Her partner was extending the lease on the property they were in. Unfortunately he committed suicide on the 26th March. Can she be held liable if the landlord has trouble renting the property.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Sorry to hear of your loss. Sadly yes. The tenants are joint and severally liable for the rent and therefore she would owe the whole amount. I am assuming she had signed the tenancy.I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her partner had taken the lease on his own. My daughter had rented a new property. Their joint tenancy ended 31st March
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - if he took on the lease then SHE is NOT liable.She would have to be named, if not then she is NOT liable.Can I clarify anything?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who is liable for the new lease that was signed by him
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The person that signed it. Only them.Does that clarify?Alex