LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have looked at a propriety to rent a few days ago

hello
I have looked at a propriety to rent a few days ago through an agency, the landlord was there. I had a call a day later in the morning saying that the landlord wanted to rent privately to a family member just to find out through this landlord that he had no family member interested and that the agency would send people to see the propriety. I was very confused as the agent didn't give me any chance to prove I was able to afford the propriety, and my application was dismissed without a reason. Is it legal?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. This certainly sounds unpleasant behaviour by the potential landlord. He may well be lying for whatever reason but I can not see that he has done anything unlawful. He can let his property to whoever he wants and there is nothing binding until a contract is signed I am afraid,