75100385

I was arrested by police last night domestic violence

Customer Question

I was arrested by police last night for a domestic violence incident. I was alledged to have hit my wife in my car in a public car park which i have denied. My wife made the allegation as she bumped into the police who questioned her as they saw my wife crying with a bloody nose. She told them that i punched her and then soon after wanted nothing more to do with it. She then came and found me at my parents and explained what happened. The police called me and also came to my house but i wasnt in. I went to the station and they arrested me for ABH.I chose not to have a solicitor present in the interview. I denied what happened. The police asked me why would she lie? I said she had discovered that i had been cheating on her which made her very crazy and upset and because 3 years ago a similar thing happened twice for the same reasons. If i cheat badly on her then she tells the police that i hit her. Both times 3 years ago this was dropped as there was no evidence and both times she wanted nothing to do with it as with this time.She made no statement and will not be. The police took notes and said she had a bump on her head and a bloody nose. I said i cant explain why she has a bump on the head but over the past year she does get nose bleads especially when she feels very stressed and she can confirm that. I also stated when i saw her that evening she look fine like nothing as bad as they suggested had happened if anything at all.They have bailed me with conditions not to see her pending more of an investigation. Nobody will talk to them apart from me. The policeman has a few notes that he made. They have said they want to check car park cctv footage which i am confident will show he running away from my car and myself just driving the other way away from her and to my parents. They want me to go back in on a date in about 12 days to decide what evidence they have and what they are going to do.Whats likely to happen? Surely if they have enough evidence they would have just charged me already? Rather than just bail me til then? What do you think will happen?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. What specially would you like to know about this please? Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'd like to know whats likely to happen. Surely if they had enough evidence they would have charged me already? Could they charge me and take me to court with what they have? Am i likely to be charged mid april? Or are they just seeing if anything else happens or comes to light?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
Could you remind me of your number again?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
***********
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When will you call?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
Give me ten minutes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
Calling now.Alex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My wife feels very guilty about whats happened. I dont know how much she means this but she has said she wants to tell the police she lied as she was very panicked and stressed. She is also foreign and wants to say she got her chouce of words wtong because she was very stressed. Would this help? If so would she get into trouble?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
I dont think that would help - she could be charged with wasting police time. Alex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Surely that would help me. What would be the sentence for wasting police time? Her first offence
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Honestly if she did decide to do that. I cant stop her. Would it help me? Also what are the charges like for her with wasting police time?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
Probably a Community Order. Alex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A community order for her on a first offence? Would it help me though? She understands she has done something very bad and wants to put it right. She works for herself so it wouldnt harm her jon prospects. She wants not to harm my job in any way as she knows thats what really looks after both of us.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
It would help you, but she would be prosecuted. ALex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is saying that she didnt waste their time. She didnt seek them out, they seeked her out. She is also saying she has a mental problem and has bad english. Would that help her not get prosecuted?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just a quick thought i was wondering if you could help with. I noticed the officers that arrested me were wearing body worn cameras. Is it possible that they would have recorded what my wife said and use this as a statement? If they were recording her in the street or in the car would they have to tell her? Or not?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
They its possible they have recorded it. They dont have to say whether its recording or not. Alex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My wife wants to call the police and say she wants to move back in with me her husband. I have bail conditions not to go near her but she wants to ring them and insist and explain she will do it with or without bail conditions. She wants the conditions removed and is going to angrily insist as she really wants to come home and be with me no matter what. Can the police do this if she is insisting? Also what does this mean for the case and myself. I feel this is putting me in a very bad situation but if she is dealing with the police then fine i guess.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
It's up to the police. It's not her prosecution, it's the police. It's up to them. Alex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Surely the police must consider what she is saying as she is threatening my bail conditions?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
No. It's the police prosecution, they can impose any conditions they see fit.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If this was to be a community order would that affect my current employment or would they work it around my current employment?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.
They would work it around your job. Does that clarify? Alex