Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Following a staff probation period is it possible to simply

Following a staff probation period is it possible to simply extend the probation period a further 3 months if attendance is not wholly satisfactory?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you the employer in this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
What is the reason for the poor attendance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Numerous but sick children most of the time. Last minute notice given making it difficult to provide alternate cover. One of the children now appears seriously ill . Last appraisal was cancelled due to emergency operation and I am just not 100% happy with this .rather than offer a full contact of employment I wondered if an extension of the probation period would be in order to assess the attendance further on down the line?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes it is not a problem doing this. If after the extended period you are still not happy with attendance I would suggest taking advice before terminated to be on the safe side. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the tie to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.