29905560

A close friend of mine has recently passed away &, on the family's

Customer Question

A close friend of mine has recently passed away &, on the family's behalf, I'm trying to locate her will.
One was originally filed in 1995, but I believe it was updated within the last couple of years it is this version I'm trying to locate,
John Bullen
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When you say one was filed, where was that filed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The invoice for the original filing was with Legal Systems Thames Valley but getting hold of them has proved very difficult. I don't know whether the updated version was deposited with them...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When a will is made there is no requirement for it so be filed or registered anywhere. It is entirely possible for the person making the will just to keep a copy for their records and that to be the only existing copy of that will. Some people take steps to formalise this a bit more, such as filing a copy with a formal wills register or their solicitors, or even friends and family, but that is entirely at their own discretion. So if you have a potentially missing will, there is no one place you can go to in order to try and locate it and you will have to do some detective work to ty and find it, of course with no guarantees of success as the only person who knew where it was could have taken this information with them to their grave. The starting point would be the last known place a will by this person was filed, such as the Legal Systems you mentioned. Not sure what details you have for them but there appear to be a few branches of that company all registered at the following address so it is worth trying there first: Claverdon , The Woodend, Wallington , Surrey, SM6 0RA If you know of any solicitors the person used in recent years you may wish to try them too. You should search their possessions to see if a copy of the will was stored somewhere at their home. You also have a paid for service searching various registers but it would only be useful if it was registered in any of these. This can be done here: https://www.certainty.co.uk/findawill/home/index.ashx or http://www.findersinternational.co.uk/our-services/professional-services/missing-will-service/ If you have exhausted all options then sadly it is entirely possible that a will may not be found and unless it resurfaces at some point the last known will or the rules of intestacy if there is no will, will have to be followed. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben - if it was deposited at a Solicitors would they automatically file it at a central government repository?...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
No it would not. There is no such thing as a central government repository for wills unfortunately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben - I have a copy of the will deposited in 1995, in the event that nothing else can be found then does this one 'carry the day?'...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
it may indeed be the case, although it can be challenged should a more recent will resurface