Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

We ( my wife) has received a payment request from a company: ***@******.***

We ( my wife) has received a payment request from a company: ***@******.*** requesting an outstanding debt of 1258.71 GBP , on behalf of a company called BHW Group Ltd.
Quote:
Regarding the amount due 1258.71 GBP, we act on behalf of BHW Group Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.
We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
http://erdls.atspace.co.uk/index.php?wolu=e92598bi7&ejaby=ej5e9cci9
In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 12.04.16
Yours Sincerely
Steven Welch
Unquote
We are living abroad in Singapore since 2007 ( still have our UK home address) we don't know a BHW Group Ltd nor have we ever been contacted by them or this Mr Steven Welch
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you are certain you do not owe the debt I would recommend the following, write back to the company-
(1) say you deny any liability for the debt;
(2) say they are pursuing you for a debt with out any proof you incurred it or it is actually owing;
(3) say it is a criminal offence to harass someone for money or pursue them for a debt they do not owe s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.
(4) say if they continue to chase you, you have to obtain legal advice and reserve the right to recover any costs of doing so from them. You also reserve the right to report them to the police and/or Trading Standards.
If the claim is baseless they should leave you alone but if they issue a court claim against you, you will have to instruct a solicitor to defend the claim (you will be able to recover the costs if you are successful). You can find a solicitor at www.lawsociety.org.uk
I look forward to hearing from you.Kind regardsAJ