Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

About a year ago I told a lie to my work ( which is still

Hi about a year ago I told a lie to my work ( which is still my current employment ) about my father being ill in order to leave work early and took an extra day off due to stress that had built up over an ongoing separate
criminal investigation into myself. My boss however it seams to me chose or was asked not to take disciplinary action due to the separate legal matter which could have been compremised had she done so.
However I would like to know can an employer take retrospective dissciplinary action if someone who is not an employee contacted her about this or would this in law be classed az just here say and gossip? Baring in mind it happened over a year ago? I would be greatful of your assistNce
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am an employment lawyer and am happy to help you today. Are you saying that the employer was aware that you told a lie at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
officially no as nothing has ever been said about it but there were outside circumstances surrounding this which an employer would not want to delve into which I eluded too previously I guess essensially what im asking is ccan an employer still discipline an employee for essentially taking unauthorised absence a year after the event and ifso what evidence would they need?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
If this has just come to light then potentially they could take action if they can demonstrate reasonable belief that you have done this. Without knowing what the evidence will be it is difficult to say but you have the right to expect it to be more than one word against the other. The employer would also have to take it to account the fact that the person who tells them has not done so soon after the event. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gavin is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou nothing has actually come to light tho like I said due to the circumstances its almost certain she would have been told tho unable to act and lets just say due to these circumstances in spite of 19 yrs of service andclean disciplinary record im not exactly mr
popular! if I had told someone who has no connection to hotel or a family member equally no connection with work if thiis person told my boss could this be as she ous as dismissal ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
As I have said they would need to have reasonable belief to dismiss, going on the word of an unconnected person a year after the event is unlikely to constitute reasonable belief. It is therefore unlikely that they would dismiss you and if they did they would have grounds for appeal. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.