75100385

I had a council tax bill for £2,300..a letter was posted through

i had a council tax bill for £2,300..a letter was posted through my door from a bailiff company.i paid the full amount of council tax directly to the council over 6 weeks ago.i had a letter through my door to say i owe the bailiffs £380 for their services...as they did not collect the bill do i owe them anything...regards ***** *****
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you TerryHad you paid the bill before a liability order had been granted please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi. I started paying after the first letter was posted through the door. They say that letters were sent but i never received anything from them. I asked today if they were recorded delivery and they said no...my response was your trying to charge me for hearsay..(the bill through the door had £110 charges on it...the council bill was paid in full within 5 weeks without any more visits from them...regards ***** *****
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to ask the Council when they instructed bailiffs. If they were instructed AFTER you paid then you do not owe the extra money.If they were instructed BEFORE you paid, then sadly you do owe it.So you need to check when you paid and when the Council instructed them.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the liability order was in force...that's why the bailiff came...i accept the bailiffs first call to the door but not for letters they say they sent..
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then you dont need to pay those and you can challenge them. There is a Court mechanism for doing this.It will go before a Judge who will decide whether or not you are liable.If the Court says you are liable then you would also be liable for any legal costs of the bailiff firm attending the hearing.Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your rapid response ...is it a county court i need to apply to ...thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be. Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Alex...thank you for a brilliant service...highly recommend this service ...Very happy now ...will start first thing tomorrow...Terry Burr