29905560

I have a shower unit I am unhappy with. I contacted a plumber

I have a shower unit I am unhappy with. I contacted a plumber through yellow pages on 16th March. A man arrived on the 17th and having looked at the job agreed his company could Supply, Fit, and remove old unit for £1,680. He said it would have to be cash, he refused Cheque and Debit Card. I paid £850 (receipt given) A date was agreed as 23rd and 24th March. This had to be changed within a short period (same day) as a family funeral came up. A date of 30th and 31st March was agreed. on the 30TH no plunber arrived, so I phoned the company and complained, I said this was most unsatisfactory and I felt it would be better if my deposit was returned. I was told this could not be done as the goods had already been purchased. A new date of 5th and 6th of April was reluctantly agreed. On the 5th I had a phone call to say the engineers brother had died in the night and he was trying to get another engineer to do the job. A man did arrive late morning and removed the old unit (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours work) and left with the old unit. He said the new unit had been ordered and should be with me that day or the following day. On the following day (today) no engineer, no shower unit. I phoned again and said it was most unprofessional, as for a start I had no idea what unit he was proposing to fit. He said I could choose, he took my Email address, I am waiting for the pictures to arrive
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What exactly are you hoping to achieve please?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It was nice to speak to you just now. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far. All the best