75100385

I am a tenant at a commercial property. My landlord

Customer Question

I am a tenant at a commercial property. My landlord owes a debt which may well be collected by baliffs. I have a tenancy agreement with my landlord and a rent book. Can baliffs cease goods of his if I am legally leasing it?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. Do you have evidence they are your goods? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they belong to the landlord, snooker table, pool tables and items that I am renting to run a business. They belong to him but I am renting them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I in danger of losing some vital equipment that I rent off my landlord if they are claimed by the baliffs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I still being replied to?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do you have evidence of renting those items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the tenancy agreement lists all the equipment I am concerned about loosing. I have been renting for 3 months and have had a couple of visits by baliffs but not for me the landlord. The rent book is signed by him showing I am up to date with my rent.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you are leasing it then technically it could be taken back. This is because if it is an asset it can be seized. BUT saying that the bailiff cant and wont take 'tools of the trade'. So if you need these items to work on, the bailiff wont be allowed to take it.In any event the bailiff can't break in so I would be tempted not to let him in!Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AlexMy property is a Hotel / Pub have you any advice as to how I handle a baliff that just walks in during opening hours. Am I right that as long as no personal belongings are at the site there is very little the baliff can claim or take away with them?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct. They can walk in during opening hours but can't take anything that doesn't belong to the landlord or is tools of the trade. Does that clarify? Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/